December 9, 2009

Day 9 - Butter Tarts

Yesterday I baked some "butter tarts" from this recipe that I found. They turned out pretty good, nothing special though. They take a long time to make because they have to chill for so long but they're pretty easy to make, so worth a try.

Pate Brisee (Short Crust Pastry):

1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon (14 grams) granulated white sugar
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1 inch (2.54 cm) pieces
1/8 to 1/4 cup (30 - 60 ml) ice water

Pate Brisee: In a food processor, place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined.

Photobucket

Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal (about 15 seconds). Pour 1/8 cup (30 ml) water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube until the dough just holds together when pinched. If necessary, add more water. Do not process more than 30 seconds.

Turn the dough onto your work surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about one hour before using. This will chill the butter and relax the gluten in the flour.

Photobucket

After the dough has chilled sufficiently, place on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and cut into 12 - 4 inch (10 cm) rounds. (To prevent the pastry from sticking to the counter and to ensure uniform thickness, keep lifting up and turning the pastry a quarter turn as you roll (always roll from the center of the pastry outwards).) Gently place the rounds into a 12-cup muffin tin. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up the dough. Next, make the filling.

*Blogger's Note!:
I deviated a little from the recipe here in method. I didn't measure out the cutouts, I think they might have been just a little smaller than 4 inches. I also think I must have not rolled the dough out thin enough because I only got 7 cuts from it. Lastly, I didn't use a muffin tin, but some ramekins my mom had. I've never made these before but I think it affected the cooking time.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Butter Tart Filling:

1/3 cup (70 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (215 grams) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (60 ml) light cream (half-and-half) (10% butterfat)
1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (toasted and chopped) (optional)

Butter Tart Filling: In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla extract. Stir in the cream.

Photobucket

If using nuts and/or raisins, place a spoonful in the bottom of each tart shell and then fill the unbaked tart shells with the filling.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the pastry has nicely browned and the filling is set. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
* Again, I baked my tarts for 20 minutes but I think with a thicker crust I should have left them in longer.

Makes 12 - 4 inch tarts.
*I only had 7

Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

Ginger said...

You can't really go wrong with a name like "butter tarts"! Maybe they just need a little berry sauce on them?

Laura said...

Those look yummy!

Lyle said...

...

"easy to make"???